In English pääkuva
Info in English
Welcome to North Karelian museum!
North Karelian museum Hilma is located in the centre of Joensuu, in an old bank building next to the market square. The museum's permanent exhibition displays the prehistory and the history of Karelia and North Karelia. There are also several temporary exhibitions each year concentrating on various themes, such as local culture and history.
Exhibitions in 2020
19 August 2020 – 17 January 2021
Stories from the River Pielinen
The exhibition invites you to explore life by the River Pielinen through people's stories, rapids, canals and power stations.
The permanent exhibition “Visiting Karelia” takes you all the way from prehistoric times to present day in North Karelia. People in the area have always lived at nature’s mercy and the exhibition also covers this relationship between people and the environment.
Wars have left their mark on the area. This part of history is portrayed from different points of view. The traditional sauna shows how it served people for centuries as a place for both birth and death. The vibrant North Karelian rock music scene also has its own exhibition room.
We hope “Visiting Karelia” will be a rewarding journey to you, providing information and insight along with emotional experiences.
Mukulakatu – Children's museum
“Mukulakatu” is a miniature museum street full of activities for our youngest visitors. The atmospheric alley of small wooden buildings completed with a marketplace and a harbor is built specifically for children. Please note that is not allowed to leave your child alone to Mukulakatu.
Koskikatu 5 (Carelicum)
North Karelian museum is located in the centre of Joensuu close to the market square, ca 1 km from the train station. Show on map
The museum is closed on the following days.
31 Dec 2019 closing at 3 pm
1 Jan New Year’s Day
6 Jan closed Epiphany
10–13 Apr Easter
1 May May Day
21 May Ascension Day
19–21 June Midsummer
8–9 Aug (exhibition change)
15–16 Aug (exhibition change)
1 Nov All Saint’s Day
6 Dec Independence Day
24–26 Dec Christmas
Changes may occur.
With the exception of the "Adult + one child only to Mukulakatu" ticket, all other ticket types include admission to the entire museum, including both permanent and temporary exhibitions and the children's museum Mukulakatu.
- Museum ticket for adults 7 € (3–18 August, exhibition change: 4 €)
- Combination ticket including North Karelian Museum and Joensuu Art Museum 10 € (valid on the day of purchase)
- Adult + one child only to Mukulakatu 6 €
- Students, pensioners, unemployed, children (1–18 years) 3 €
- Children under 1 year for free
- Family ticket (2 adults, 1–3 children) 12 €
- Groups of more than 10 persons 3 €/person
- Club card (valid for 12 months) 30 €/adults, 20 €/children
- Museum Card is your ticket to North Karelian Museum and 300 other museums all around Finland. New card costs 69 €, renewal of your old card costs 64 €. You can buy Museum Card from our museum.
Free Saturdays 2020
Free entry to North Karelian Museum and Joensuu Art Museum on the following Saturdays:
- 4 January
- 1 February
- 7 March
- 4 April
- 5 September
- 3 October
- 7 November
- 5 December
Special Days 2020
- International Museum Day (18 May)
- Joensuu Day (29 Nov)
- Valentine's Day (14 Feb) two for the price of one
- International Women's Day (8 Mar) two women for the price of one
Book a guided tour
Guided tours to the exhibitions are available by advance booking.The tour takes about 45 minutes.
- Guided tour in English or Russian: 63 € (Saturdays 65 €, Sundays and public holidays 125 €)
- Guided tour in Finnish: 58 € (Saturdays 60 €, Sundays and public holidays 115 €)
Bookings and enquiries
Tel. + 358 50 520 2762
Tel. +358 50 520 2762