In English pääkuva
Info in English
Welcome to North Karelian museum!
North Karelian museum Hilma is located in the centre of Joensuu, in an old bank building next to the market square. The museum's permanent exhibition displays the prehistory and the history of Karelia and North Karelia. There are also several temporary exhibitions each year concentrating on various themes, such as local culture and history.
Please follow these guidelines while visiting the museum during the coronavirus pandemic:
- wear a face mask, use hand sanitiser/wash your hands, keep a safe distance to others (2 metres), stay home if you are not well
- more information in English: www.joensuu.fi/english
10 June – 12 September 2021
East of Finland in Photography
The East of Finland in Photography is an amusing and wistful story of people, nature and boundaries. It tells of the heroes of the east – maidens spinning thread, loggers, hunters and evacuated Karelian mothers – but also how the modern cities of the east were built. The exhibition wanders through a mythical land, opening a window on life in the regions of Karelia, Savo and Kainuu. Its chronological span of photographs from the 1860s up to the present day reveals how the east has been seen at different times and how it has been chosen to be represented. The exhibition has been curated by visual culture researcher Riitta Raatikainen.
Permanent exhibition: Visiting Karelia
The permanent exhibition “Visiting Karelia” takes you all the way from prehistoric times to present day in North Karelia. People in the area have always lived at nature’s mercy and the exhibition also covers this relationship between people and the environment.
Wars have left their mark on the area. This part of history is portrayed from different points of view. The traditional sauna shows how it served people for centuries as a place for both birth and death. The vibrant North Karelian rock music scene also has its own exhibition room.
We hope “Visiting Karelia” will be a rewarding journey to you, providing information and insight along with emotional experiences.
Mukulakatu – Children's Museum
Mukulakatu is a miniature museum street full of activities for our youngest visitors. The atmospheric alley of small wooden buildings completed with a marketplace and a harbor is built specifically for children. Please note that it is not allowed to leave your child alone at Mukulakatu. Mukulakatu is closed on weekends (Saturday–Sunday).
Koskikatu 5 (Carelicum)
North Karelian museum is located in the centre of Joensuu close to the market square, ca 1 km from the train station. Show on map
Children's Museum Mukulakatu
closed on Saturdays and Sundays
1 Jan 2021 closed, New Year
6 Jan closed, Epiphany
23–24 Jan closed, exhibition change
30–31 Jan closed, exhibition change
2–5 Apr closed, Easter
1 May closed, May Day
13 May closed, Ascension Day
25–27 June closed, Midsummer
6 Nov closed, All Saints' Day
6 Dec closed, Independence Day
24–26 Dec closed, Christmas
Changes may occur.
With the exception of the "Adult + one child only to Mukulakatu" ticket, all other ticket types include admission to the entire museum, including both permanent and temporary exhibitions and the children's museum Mukulakatu.
- Museum ticket for adults 7 €
- Combination ticket including North Karelian Museum and Joensuu Art Museum 10 € (valid on the day of purchase)
- Adult + one child only to Mukulakatu 6 €
- Students, pensioners, unemployed, children (1–17 years) 3 €
- Children under 1 year for free
- Family ticket (2 adults, 1–3 children) 12 €
- Groups of more than 10 persons 3 €/person
- Club card (valid for 12 months) 30 €/adults, 20 €/children
- Museum Card is your ticket to North Karelian Museum and 300 other museums all around Finland. New card 72 €, renewal of valid card 68 € (valid 1 year from first use).
Book a guided tour
Guided tours to the exhibitions are available by advance booking.The tour takes about 45 minutes.
- Guided tour in English or Russian: 64 € (Saturdays 66 €, Sundays and public holidays 126 €)
- Guided tour in Finnish: 59 € (Saturdays 61 €, Sundays and public holidays 116 €)
Bookings and enquiries
Tel. + 358 50 520 2762
Tel. +358 50 520 2762